Call recording: 4Rs workshop with DA facilitators and volunteers
A 2-hour exploration facilitated by Kimberley Hare and David Baum for the DA Community.
As we wake up to the interconnected predicaments facing humanity, the 4R’s are a useful framework, offered by Professor Jem Bendell, for helping us to uncover our own unique answers to the questions:
“What’s mine to do?” and
“How can I make a difference?”
The 4R’s are:
• RESILIENCE – What is it that we most value and how can we keep that? How can we build and sustain our resilience – both inner and outer? What’s MOST important now?
• RELINQUISHMENT – What can we give up in order not to make matters worse?
• RESTORATION – What can we bring back that has been lost?
• RECONCILIATION/RECONNECTION – What can we do to make peace with, love and support others? How can we live with kindness, joy and peace?
There are no simple blueprints, no one right way, no universal action plans we can follow. Indeed, Deep Adaptation has been described by Katie Carr as largely “an invitation into maplessness”.
However, we do seem to experience ‘nudges’ from wisdom, that we can choose to trust and follow. I love to imagine that we are all weaving something together – but there are an infinite number of individual threads – and there are some that may be ours to pick up.
This workshop is an opportunity to learn about the 4R framework in the context of your life, and to deepen your inquiry into what matters most now.
This workshop will be a ‘test-run’ for DA Facilitators and Volunteers. After review, it is planned to offer this as on a regular basis for the wider DA Community.
ABOUT THE CONSCIOUS LEARNING WEBINARS
This webinar is part of the Conscious Learning Festival (July to September, 2021), itself an offshoot of Wendy and Dorian’s participatory Action Research project in the Deep Adaptation Forum (see here). These webinars touch on the topics of learning, change, and Deep Adaptation. Where relevant, they will highlight the presenters’ “learning journey” into the Deep Adaptation Forum and beyond.
Read more about the Festival here, and feel free to convene a discussion of your own!
I try to bring good people and exciting projects together within the Deep Adaptation Forum, where I am currently part of the core team. I am also studying social learning and radical collective change as part of my PhD at IFLAS, University of Cumbria.
- Deep Adaptation as Psychological First Aid
- Conscious Learning Festival – Getting access to another level of thinking and intuition consistently
- How I am helping to catalyse support efforts in the Ukraine
- Widening Circles with Emma Mary Gathergood
- D&D Circle: Fostering deep mutual learning within a small group